Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pampering Day 6: Homemade Moisturizing Sugar Scrub

Today has been one of those marvelous days that just flies by and is filled with friends and family. This morning, the kids and I had the distinct pleasure of meeting up for a play date with a friend I hadn't seen in a long time. The afternoon was filled with my Mom's memorial service arrangements and conversations with good friends and family.

I did make my pampering time a priority, even with all the stuff going on in my day. Today's mission: a deliciously luxurious sugar scrub moisture treatment for my hands. There's no need to shell out big bucks for a scrub from the store or even pay the salon to do it for you. You probably have what you need to make the scrub on hand already.



I use sugar instead of salt because it creates a scrub that is less abrasive and more moisturizing. I mixed two tablespoons of a special oil that a doula friend mixed up with two tablespoons of sugar. You could use any high quality oil like olive oil, almond oil, avocado oil or massage oil. It turns into a paste that looks like this:


I apply that scrub to my hands and lower arms and gently massage it in for a full five minutes before rinsing with warm water (no soap). I rub the remaining oil in and then slather on good thick moisturizing cream. I finish by allowing cuticle cream to sit on my cuticles and the rough spots on my hands for ten minutes before rubbing it in and wiping off excess oils with a clean hand towel. My hands are silky smooth now and I feel like I spent some time at the spa without the hassle of making an appointment, finding childcare and driving across town. Bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment